Cracking Advice

2 comments
While reading the wholly addictive Ben Hewitt I came across a wonderful set of guidelines, which in turn comes from an absolutely sublime piece by one of my literary heroes, Wendell Berry.

And as if those two links were not in and of themselves, an absolute treasure trove, here follow the very principles:

1 – Be happy with what you’ve got. Don’t be always looking for something better.

2 – Don’t buy anything you don’t need.

3 – Don’t buy what you ought to save. Don’t buy what you ought to make.

4 – Unless you absolutely have got to do it, don’t buy anything new.

5 – If somebody tries to sell you something to “save labor,” look out. If you can work, then work.

6 – If other people want to buy a lot of new stuff and fill up the country with junk, use the junk.

7 – Some good things are cheap, even free. Use them first.

8 – Keep watch for what nobody wants. Sort through the leavings.

9 – You might know, or find out, what it is to need help. So help people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I like your title. And I might like to read your blog, but the font is so light I can barely distinguish it from the background.

Jackie said...

I'm sorry! It's a work in progress. I changed the template and I haven't finished! I will change the font for now so it's at least readable :(

Powered by Blogger.
Follow Me on Pinterest